fdisk broke things

striker striker at Dread.net
Fri May 20 04:12:49 UTC 2005

Greetings,

As I said in my last post, dmraid was working well, detecting all the
partitions on the two-disk striped set (Promise Fastrack).  The set
contained a primary windows partition, and an extended windows partition,
with about 11 GB unallocated.

I start fdisk with /dev/mapper/pdc_djbcgacc as the argument.  I created a
new primary partition and set the type to Linux.

I issued a 'write' and quit fdisk. I then rebooted.

Since then, things are messed up.  I'm getting alot of these:

end_request: I/O error, dev hde, sector 579
end_request: I/O error, dev hde, sector 580
end_request: I/O error, dev hde, sector 581
end_request: I/O error, dev hde, sector 582
end_request: I/O error, dev hde, sector 0

When I run dmraid -ay, I get this:
ERROR: hpt37x: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]
ERROR: hpt45x: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]
ERROR: isw: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]
ERROR: lsi: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]
ERROR: nvidia: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]
ERROR: pdc: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]
ERROR: pdc: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]
ERROR: pdc: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]
ERROR: pdc: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]
ERROR: pdc: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]
ERROR: sil: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]
ERROR: via: reading /dev/hde[Input/output error]

pdc_djbcgacc does show up in /dev/mapper, but none of the partitions do.

Starting fdisk shows no partitions.

Basically, the system is having trouble with hde, which is the first of
two disks in my striped set.

I can boot to windows off this same set with no problem.  Veritas disk
manager sees the partitions no problem.

Note:  if I do a warm reboot, the system hangs at the IDE detection stage.
I have to power cycle the box for the Promise drive scan to succeed.  So
something bad has definitely happened.

Does anyone have any insight to offer?

Thanks!

Rached