Fedora Core 5 seek errors in the initrd

James Olson big_spender12 at lycos.com
Tue Mar 28 06:31:36 UTC 2006

Difficult.  I might have to use a serial port as a console to capture the errors (along with the initrd status messages so we can tell exactly where they are).

> >   In Fedora Core 4 they used to use udev in the initrd and you could
> > prevent a partition scan with a modification to the udev rules file
> > like:
> > KERNEL=="hde*|hdf*|hdg*|sdb*|sdc*|sdd*", GOTO="persistent_end"
>
> This doesn't prevent a partition scan; it just prevents the mknod
> in /dev .
It prevents udev from doing a partition scan.

> > in FC5 they use nash and the mkblkdevs command.   How can we prevent
> >  nash from ever creating device nodes for drives we wish to hide from
> > everything but dmraid?
>
> You can't -- but that shouldn't be a problem.  When it creates the raid
> device, it removes the partition devices from the original disks.  Is
> that not happening for you?

My setup, I have Fedora Core installed on a SCSI drive, and I was merely booting it and when it sees my 3 raid drives on another interface card it seems to scan the partitions in the initrd point of the bootup.   I am not using volume labels in fstab or grub, just the /dev/sda3 to specify the volume (of course mount would do a partition scan if it was searching for a volume label).

> > The nash command rmparts seems to remove them but that is after the
> > fact, and the errors occur I'm guessing right when the mkblkdevs
> > command makes them.
>
> There's nothing in mkblkdevs that performs any device access at all, so
> that's probably not it.  At that point the kernel has already scanned
> the partition table, exactly as it had in FC4.  So you're probably
> seeing something after that.
I downloaded mkinitrd src rpm.  Does mkblkdevs call functions in nash/block.c?  There is a volume label scan and a UUID scan function in it; I'm suspicious of that.

> My first guess is that we're getting the parameters for your dmraid
> device wrong, and then the errors come from scanning the partitions on
> that, but I can't be sure without more info on how your disks are set
> up.
Well I didn't upgrade the FC4 I have on the dmraid striped volume yet.  Smiles :) Thank you for responding.