Re: Checking support levels

On Fri, 16 May 2008, Jonathan wrote:
> To confirm the RAID1 matters because RAID 10 is RAID 0 (stripe) over
> RAID 1 (mirrors)?
> I don't mind having to revert to BIOS for rebuild in the event of a
> hd fault, but I wouldn't mind understanding a little more about the
> lack of error handling.
> Do you mean if one disk in the underlying mirror set fails that
> dmraid will 1) ignore and not notify
> 2) fall over in a big heap
> 3) notify, keep running but not rebuild
> 4) not handle inconsistencies without reversion to BIOS?

Read doc/dmraid_design.txt - dmraid can't update the RAID metadata to
record a disk failure.

I am not sure what happens in the event of a disk failure - up to
devmapper I guess.

I would say that if you had a degraded array and rebooted the BIOS
wouldn't know it's degraded and DM wouldn't either, so you might fail
to boot, boot but get corrupted data, etc etc..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum