isw: array length calculation seems to be wrong

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 13 15:07:56 UTC 2011

I'm trying to help a user with a problem with their isw set.  After
upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04 ( 1.0.0.rc16 ) it seems that their partition
extends beyond the end of the raid array.  I'm looking at how isw
computes the array length and it seems to be wrong.  It looks like
_cal_array_size() computes the length of the ( raid1 ) array by finding
the smallest component disk and subtracting some reserved blocks.  This
does not seem to be correct.  Relevant fields from the user's metadata:

0x0e8 disk[0].totalBlocks: 1953523055
0x118 disk[1].totalBlocks: 1953525168
0x148 isw_dev[0].SizeLow: 1953519616
0x1ac isw_dev[0].vol.map[0].blocks_per_member: 1953519880
0x1b0 isw_dev[0].vol.map[0].num_data_stripes: 7630936
0x1b4 isw_dev[0].vol.map[0].blocks_per_strip: 128

Further, it looks like create_rd() sets the size of each component disk
to the same thing anyhow:

if ((r->sectors = dev->vol.map[0].blocks_per_member - RAID_DS_JOURNAL))

This seems to have given the user a block device with a total size of
1953519880 sectors.  Debian and Ubuntu are carrying a patch that removes
the subtraction of RAID_DS_JOURNAL above, or the array would be even
smaller.  This seems to have been added because a Debian user had a
similar shrinkage of their disk after an upgrade.  As you can see, the
array size seems to be exactly equal to blocks_per_member, even though
_cal_array_size() appears to be subtracting DISK_RESERVED_BLOCKS, which
should make it a few hundred sectors smaller.  I am not sure why this is.

I believe that the array size should be correctly computed as
blocks_per_strip * num_data_stripes.  That appears to be off by a factor
of two however, so maybe blocks_per_strip is actually in kb instead of
sectors?  Correcting for that gives an array length of 1953519616
sectors.  This matches isw_dev[0].SizeLow.  Perhaps this field should be
used directly since it gives the correct size, instead of doing any
calculations?