dmraid ISW maximum partition size?

Eric Schoeller eschoeller at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 21 02:00:57 UTC 2011

Hello list,

I recently acquired a system with an Intel 82801 SATA RAID controller.
I'm using dmraid to manage an RAID1 1TB volume. I created 3 partitions
on this RAID1 array, one of them being 875GB. When the system boots only
the first two partitions appear in /dev/mapper/isw_xxx_p[1-2]. And, of
course the volume group and logical volumes in the 3rd partition are
nowhere to be found. After running 'partprobe' the 3rd partition
appears, along with my logical volumes. If I remove the large 3rd
partition and replace it with something in the neighborhood of a 300GB
partition, it works just fine upon boot. I haven't figured out how large
I can go before I hit this problem. This is a fully updated kubuntu
11.04 machine running 2.6.38-10-generic.

dmraid version: 1.0.0.rc16
dmraid library version: 1.0.0.rc16
device-mapper version: 4.19.1

I poked around on the interwebs but couldn't find any info. Any help is
greatly appreciated!

--
Eric Schoeller
University of Colorado Boulder