[augeas-devel] Re: Augeas and Puppet

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Fri Aug 1 19:31:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 13:21 +0200, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
> I don't really want the "holistic" view, I prefer Augeas to work on
> individual files.  keeps it simple, and also much faster, since only
> the files you're going to edit will be parsed.  consider if I wanted
> to edit ~mysql/.bashrc -- should Augeas pull in *all* user's .bashrc
> in its tree?  that would not be a pretty sight on a system with LDAP
> and NFS :-)
>
> also, I don't want to hardcode the location of configuration files in
> the lens -- it can vary from system to system.  some system has this
> or that file in /etc/mysql, some other system in /usr/lib/mysql, and a
> third system may have multiple independent MySQL-instances.  that's
> information which should be in Puppet, not Augeas, IMHO.

I agree that that's desirable, but it's somewhat orthogonal to the
question of how to best expose Augeas in Puppet.

> perhaps separate editfile and augeas providers would make sense for
> this reason, ie. use editfile for standalone edits, and augeas when
> you want to pull the entire configuration into the tree.

That's mostly a performance concern, and I'll address that in Augeas
soon, i.e. add the ability to start with an empty tree and only load
specific files into it instead of loading all the files that Augeas
knows about.