[augeas-devel] Is aug_get safe for buffer overflow ?

Dominique Dumont dominique.dumont at hp.com
Thu Jun 5 17:08:12 UTC 2008

Hello

I'm quite rusted in C, and I've finally managed to get aug_get working
in the Perl bindings I'm working on.

After some trial and errors, I've realised that I need to allocate the
char** passed to aug_get so that aug_set will store the data there.

In short:

    char* c_value[100]; // 100 is completely arbitrary
    int ret = aug_get(aug,path,c_value);

How can we protect from buffer overflow without passing a max length
to aug_get ?

(I'd rather raise this question ASAP as protecting aug_set will lead
to an API change)

HTH

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they