[augeas-devel] Initial Ustr attempt

James Antill james at fedoraproject.com
Sun Jun 15 04:51:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 11:29 -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 13:45 -0400, James Antill wrote:
> > This is an initial attempt to use Ustr[1] in augeas instead of "struct
> > string" ... it's mostly the least amount of work possible to do a port,
> > however I also converted make_regexp() from (char *) to (Ustr *) because
> > of the way that consumed the externally allocated data.
>
> My first question is: is ustr widely enough available ? Including
> platforms like OS/X and FreeBSD ?

 Well I know it's in Fedora/debian/ubuntu ... I thought I saw something
about a FreeBSD "port" but I can't confirm as I don't have one.
 It's fair to say it isn't "everywhere" though ... I don't even know
what OS/X uses for addons.

>  If not, is it possible to pull ustr
> into the source tree on those platforms, similar to how gnulib is being
> pulled in ?

 Sure, it's kind of built to do that ... but differently from how you
have gnulib setup.
 The was I imagined people would use it is like autoconf etc. ... you
install ustr-devel or whatever and then run "ustr-import [...] -c all"
somewhere and you get all the files needed, then you build it how you
want.
 Doing a git clone of the upstream repo. and typing "make" should get
you just the static libraries ... and I'm pretty sure you can put that
dir. in your -I and -L path and it'll just work ... but I've not tested
that :).

> Also, there probably needs to be some change in autoconf that checks for
> ustr and/or a flag to pull in ustr on platforms where it's not readily
> available.

 *nods*

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.com>