[augeas-devel] Concrete view in match

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Mon Apr 13 17:44:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 08:44 +0200, Raphaël Pinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> I demoed augeas to a former colleague yesterday, and he had an
> interesting comment. He said it would seem very useful if it was
> possible to have a concrete view in a match. For example, I want to
> know all the crontab entries that are run by root, so I would use
>
> match "/files/etc//entry[user = 'root']"
>

> but then I get the tree that matches. He thinks it would be great if
> there was a match to actually get the concrete data (i.e. the crontab
> lines in this case) instead.

Yeah, I think that would be an interesting addition, together with some
indication of where in the original file the new text will appear - it
would be quite useful for GUI applications.

Implementationwise, it would require somework in put.c to suppress
output unless we're in the part of the tree that was requested.