[augeas-devel] RFC: Augeas version api?

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Mon Jan 19 19:52:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 17:45 -0500, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> David Lutterkort wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 10:48 -0500, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> >> Just thinking ahead, with new features being added it may be nice to
> >> check the verison before executing them. What would you all think of
> >> either a aug_version() call on the augeas object which reads from
> >> /augeas/version?
> >>
> >> This would allow you to check from within the tree, or the api directly,
> >> and do branch processing.
> >
> > That would be easy enough to do (probably one or two lines in aug_init)
> > - though I suspect version info isn't _really_ what you're after, but a
> > more finegrained way to inquire about 'features', such as whether noop
> > mode for save is supported, right ?
>
> Yes, to be fair, my use case is what you said. Version was my proxy for
> getting the information.

I just committed a patch that sets up a tree /augeas/version that gives
you the current version and lists all the legal save modes. We can
easily add to this if you need to test for any other features:

        augtool> print /augeas/version/
        /augeas/version = "0.3.5"
        /augeas/version/save
        /augeas/version/save/mode[1] = "backup"
        /augeas/version/save/mode[2] = "newfile"
        /augeas/version/save/mode[3] = "noop"
        /augeas/version/save/mode[4] = "overwrite"