[augeas-devel] [RFC] Ruby Augeas bindings using FFI

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Tue Nov 3 19:23:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 13:38 -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> I have an interest in seeing the ruby bindings for Augeas run in JRuby.
> So.. that means moving the ruby bindings over to FFI. Since I suck at C
> anyways, seems like a good move all around :).
>
> I have taken a first cut [1] at this, and the tests pass. I need to work
> on packaging, but I wanted to get feedback on what was there.
>
> Any comments are welcome.

I know next to nothing about FFI, and don't know how widely available it
is. Since the Ruby bindings are so important for the Ruby/Puppet
integration, I am very hesitant to muck with it until we're sure that
FFI is as widely available as plain old C Ruby bindings.

But I'd be open to maintaining the bindings in parallel, and dreaming up
some packaging magic to switch between the two (not sure what that magic
would look like, though ;)