[augeas-devel] bug/feature request - support shell functions in shellvars.aug

Chris Sears csears at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 18:38:38 UTC 2010

David / Matt,

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 8:35 PM, David Lutterkort <lutter at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,

> I share Matt's misgivings about doing the above in an ifcfg file - it
> breaks all kinds of tools, from netcf to NetworkManager. The right
> solution is to not try and parse the above, and flag it as an error.

Thanks for the advice. I agree that throwing a shell function in a conf file
like this is messy, but it's currently required to avoid false link down
warnings when using the VMware vmxnet driver. They automatically generate
ifcfg files with a check_link_down function included.

I decided to use a workaround which is still probably not "valid" for ifcfg
files, but seems to work with the current shellvars.aug. I moved the shell
function into an external file and then included it using "source
external_file" in my ifcfg. Since shellvars.aug already parses "source"
directives, everything works.

 - Chris