[augeas-devel] gnulib update for AIX support

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 18:21:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 17:46 +0000, James Conner wrote:
> I've spent pretty much all of today getting this to compile - The
> autogen.sh script seems to need a lot of dependencies which weren't
> required for ./configure and most of the packages which I'd got
> installed already (automake, autoconf, m4 etc) needed me to build newer
> versions to get autogen.sh to run through without problems. After a long
> slog, I got it to complete.

Yes, that's to be expected - configure is for people wanting to use
augeas, whereas autogen.sh is for developers, and as such requires a lot
more tools to be installed.

I have no idea how hard it is to get a dev environment set up under AIX;
if that turns out to be too hard, you can try and do that on a Linux
machine; after a succressful autogen.sh and make, run 'make dist' which
will produce a tarball. You can then move the tarball to AIX and build
with './configure && make'

> I next ran into a small problem during make - It was bombing out at...
> 'LEX lexer.c' - Not surprising as there is no lexer.c for it to parse.

It looks like you are missing flex and bison.

> I worked around that one by 'touch src/lexer.c' which allowed things to
> finish compiling successfully.

I am surprised the build didn't fail with more noise, and that the link
actually succeeded with an empty lexer.c

> I'm not sure if the next problem was caused by missing lexer.c, or
> something else - The compiled augtool coredumps on startup (and all the
> test for the lenses fail as a result)

>From http://pastebin.com/6DwdmckP it seems like things blow up in
argz_add which comes from gnulib; shouldn't be caused by what you did
with lexer.c, but I'd rather try that again once you have built
successfully.

You should also start gdb via libtool, using
        libtool --mode=execute gdb ./augtool

There's a little convenience script, src/try that sets up a test root in
build/try and can be used to run augtool against that root. I just added
an explanation on how to use it to HACKING.