[augeas-devel] [Matahari] Fwd: Re: Augeas-based configuration agent

Alan Pevec apevec at redhat.com
Thu May 12 14:49:34 UTC 2011

adding back augeas-devel and David

On 05/12/2011 02:15 PM, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Andrew Beekhof<andrew at beekhof.net>  wrote:
>> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Radek Novacek<rnovacek at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>> Forwarded from augeas-devel. I think the suggested API could work for us quite
>>> well. Our config agent will be reduced to only one method "run" which will
>>> take string (commands separated by \n) or list of strings (augeas commands)
>>> and some flags (e.g. bool for suggested AUG_RUN_CONTINUE). This method will
>>> return error code and content of "out" file (maybe parsed somehow).
>>>
>>> Do you agree with this proposal?
>>
>> I think its pretty close.
>>
>> Though we may want to keep frun but alter it slightly to look like:
>>
>> int aug_run_url(augeas *aug,
>>                       char *url, FILE *out,
>>                       unsigned int flags)
>>
>> and support at least file://, http://, ftp://
>>
>> Not so interesting for DBus, but highly useful in the cloud.
>>
>> Also, I think we want a dedicated "getter" accessor.
>> Something like:
>>     aug_get(augeas *aug, char *path, unsigned int flags).
>>
>> But I'm not sure how to get the values out.
>
> s/sure how to/decided which is the best way to/

Instead of everything-is-a-file mantra, what about having callback function as an argument for aug_run?
augeas lib would call it when there's something to give out or read in.
That way client apps can support different sources if they wish, augtool for example really only needs to support files.

Alan