[augeas-devel] Associating lenses with files in other locations

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Sep 22 08:25:59 UTC 2011

Yes, both were typos.  No, nothing in /augeas//error.  I did find that useful when there was an error parsing a my.cnf in the right location earlier.  Like I said, it works perfectly find with files in the proper location.  It's just the --root doesn't seem to work.

I also need to determine how to associate lenses with alternate locations for other reasons, so I'm willing to work around --root not working if I can do the lense association better.

On Sep 22, 2011, at 1:18 AM, Dominic Cleal wrote:
> On 21/09/11 20:46, Jo Rhett wrote:
>> I'm using augeas 0.9.0 on CentOS 5.6. Printing and making changes to
>> files in their normal locations works just fine.
>>
>> I have a need to test/evaluate the editing of files in non-standard
>> locations.  From reading the documentation and various online sources
>> I've found several ways that should work, but none of which work as I
>> (mis)understood them. Please clue me over the head, please ;-)
>>
>> First was to create a fake root:
>>
>> $ mkdir -p augroot/etc
>> $ cp /etc/fstab /etc/my.cnf /etc/hosts augroot/etc/
>> $ augtool --root=aigret
>
> Typo?  If the root doesn't exist, it doesn't seem to throw an error, but
> you get no output as you found.
>
>> augtool> print /files/etc/stab
>
> Typo again?
>
>> augtool> print /files/etc/hosts
>> augtool> print /files/etc/my.cnf
>> augtool>
>>
>> The above shows no response == unparsed file. This doesn't appear to
>> work.  The modules are available in /augeas/load but no files of any
>> type that I put here are parsed.
>
> This and the other methods should work - and without typos, the above
> works perfectly for me on 0.9.0 on Fedora 15.
>
> Try running "print /augeas//error" and check to see if there's any
> output referring to your files.
>
> --
> Dominic Cleal
> Red Hat Consulting