[augeas-devel] Advice needed on new lenses for Cyrus IMAP

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 17:08:49 UTC 2012

Hi Jeroen,

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)
<vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com> wrote:
> I'm in the process of creating some new lenses for Cyrus IMAP configuration
> files, /etc/cyrus.conf and /etc/imapd.conf.
>
> The latter is a relatively easy lens to write, and I've already done so
> (based on Postfix_Main actually) since it's a really easy sectionless .INI
> type of file format (like /etc/postfix/main.cf).

That actually sounds like what the Simplevars module does.

> A question I have, though, is the naming for such lens; would it be
> appropriate to call such lens Cyrus_Imapd_Imap (vs. Cyrus_Imapd_Main for
> /etc/cyrus.conf?), or do you have any naming suggestions?

I usually refer to the existing manpage for that. There's a standard
man 5 imapd.conf, so I'd call the lens Imapd, and the other one Cyrus,
since there is a man 5 cyrus.conf.

> Also, I was wondering whether someone would be willing to assist me in
> creating a lens for /etc/cyrus.conf, which has a little more difficult file
> format? Any pointers in parsing the sections and exposing such in, say, an
> augtool print /files/etc/cyrus.conf would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps
> somebody knows of an example lens that uses a similar (or the same?) parsing
> method?

Cyrus.conf seems to be a block-based file. Have a look at the new
block constructs in the Build module (in the git master branch). In
particular, the following modules are now making use of Build.block*
constructs: Keepalived, Logrotate and Xinetd.

Cheers,

Raphaël