[augeas-devel] [Puppet Users] Re: augeas-0.10.0_1 in FreeBSD can't see /etc/rc.conf

Dominic Cleal dcleal at redhat.com
Tue May 1 20:36:21 UTC 2012

On 01/05/12 21:12, Darryl Wisneski wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 02:15:25PM -0400, Steve Wills wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for the info. Something is definitely not right, but it doesn't
>> seem to work for me even with the older version:
>>
>> It looks like the problem is that the fix in ticket 255:
>>
>> https://fedorahosted.org/augeas/ticket/255
>> https://fedorahosted.org/augeas/changeset/95515f45adf192ab10e6c6ffbd69b5977a9f78b2/
>
> The patch worked but the rc.conf potentially needs double quotes
> on the RHS, or value.  No?  It seems this functionality conflicts
> with the resolution of ticket 255.

Yes, there is some conflict here.  Unfortunately the path /etc/rc.conf
has now been picked up by Arch Linux for all configuration (sigh):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rc.conf

In their case it's meant to be fully bash-compatible according to
rc.conf(5).  When /etc/rc.conf was originally added to Shellvars
upstream, the same was probably assumed for FreeBSD.  I assume the
quotes are just for style, or are they required for parsing?

I'd be hesitant to suggest changing back to the rcconf.aug lens, even
though it was here first, due to Arch and that we've started to use
Shellvars now.  This means you'd need to update resources to add the
quotes explicitly, or that Steve patched the FreeBSD port to keep the
rcconf.aug lens instead of upstream's Shellvars (which could get confusing).

What do you think?

>> is not included in the current release. That's OK, I can patch it in. See
>> attached patch. With this, I get:
>>
>> % augtool --version
>> augtool 0.10.0 <http://augeas.net/>
>> Copyright (C) 2007-2011 David Lutterkort
>> License LGPLv2+: GNU LGPL version 2.1 or later
>>                  <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html>
>> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
>> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>>
>> Written by David Lutterkort
>> % augtool print /files/etc/rc.conf
>> /files/etc/rc.conf
>> /files/etc/rc.conf/keymap = "\"us.pc-ctrl\""
>> /files/etc/rc.conf/sshd_enable = "\"YES\""
>> [snip]

This matches what should be back in the next Augeas release, and how
0.8.1/0.9.0 both behaved.

--
Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Consulting