[augeas-devel] Augtool Just One Specific File

Raphaël Pinson raphael.pinson at camptocamp.com
Fri May 17 12:12:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM, <precutcolours at mailcan.com> wrote:

> Thank you for answering so completely. Tip, augtool 1.0.0 man page needs
> update; it doesn't list that --transform option (Arch Linux).

Thanks. I just added it.

> In all my years I've found INI quite standard. Lisp, Perl, Python, PHP,
> Ruby classes for INI do nothing spectacular with it. Deeper
> interpretation of "value" could get messy, but a generic lens might just
> consider "value" as opaque text.

More or less yes. There's at least two mutually incompatible formats that I
see: multiline and indented entries, since multiline entries use indented
lines to denote line continuation:

key = multiline
   value

You'd expect this to mean { "key" = "multiline\n  value" }, but MySQL will
understand it as { "key" = "multiline } { "value" } since it supports
flags, too.

Other than that, some implementations use "#" or ";" for comments, or both,
and as a result they might use these characters in values while other
implementations would allow them as end-of-line comment separators:

channel = #augeas

would generally be mapped as { "channel" = "" { "#comment" = "augeas" } },
but an IRC server would read this as { "channel" = "#augeas" }.

I could find many other examples ("!include" statements in MySQL,
section-less entries in PHP, etc.)

Raphaël