[augeas-devel] New Augeas release soon?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Oct 31 19:02:15 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 07:53:30PM +0100, Pino Toscano wrote:
> On Friday 31 October 2014 17:40:56 Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 10:36:02AM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> > > Hi Rich,
> > >
> > > On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Richard W.M. Jones
> > > <rjones at redhat.com>>
> > >
> > > Yes, I'll try and get a release together next week Friday.

> > > Is there something that Augeas could do to help at least spot such
> > > issues sooner ? We've talked in the past about some sort of
> > > annotation to indicate lens compatibility, but that never went
> > > anywhere.
> > >
> > > Is the breakage simply due to the fact that the upstream enses
> > > produce a tree that's different from the one that the virt-* tools
> > > expect ?
>
> No, the resulting situation is that there are two lenses handling the
> same file, and thus none of them is used (Augeas correctly reports that
> error).

The background here is that we are bundling new lenses with
libguestfs, and then trying some hokey magic based on version numbers
to decide whether to use the replacements.  When that goes wrong, we
end up with two lenses and as Pino says Augeas correctly reports an
error and then uses neither of them.

So we want to get away from bundling lenses, but we can't do that
until we can say to distributions "thou shalt use augeas >= X".

Rich.