[augeas-devel] Problems creating _almost empty_ file

David Lutterkort lutter at watzmann.net
Fri Aug 10 21:06:18 UTC 2018

Hi Štěpán,

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 8:45 AM, Štěpán Balážik <stepan.balazik at nic.cz>
wrote:

> Now, when I want to create similar *programmatically *using augtool I run
> into this:
>
> $ augtool
> augtool> set tmp/test2.min/file
> augtool> save
> error: Failed to execute command
> saving failed (run 'errors' for details)
> augtool> errors
> Error in /tmp/test2.min:1.0 (parse_skel_failed)
>   Input string does not match at all
>   Lens: /usr/share/augeas/lenses/minimal.aug:8.10-.142:
>
> When I was trying to create empty (or almost empty) file like this one
> using the lenses distributed with Augeas (the one for /etc/hosts for
> example) I ran to no such problems so I suppose I am doing something wrong.

The problem you are running into is that Augeas parses the original file
right before it saves changes; that is necessary to recover things that are
in the file but not in the tree, like whitespace. Your lens does not accept
an empty file, it  requires that a file contains, at a minimum,
"BEGIN\nEND\n". If you change your lens to accept an empty file (e.g., by
putting a '?' at the end of your definition of lns), all should be well.