[Avocado-devel] Using network sniffer in avocado-vt

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Tue Sep 11 23:58:43 UTC 2018

On 9/11/18 5:43 AM, Sergey Bronnikov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> avocado-vt uses network sniffer (tshark or tcpdump) for getting
> IP address of running guest OS. QEMU has an option to dump network
> traffic to a file. Using this option looks simpler than using of
> external sniffer . I believe there were reasons to prefer sniffer
> instead of qemu dump option. Can someone tell about them?
>
> Sergey

Sergey,

It'd be nice to try to rewrite the "sniffing" code in terms of "-object
filter-dump" (AKA "-net dump").

I see that there are some limitations in the QEMU builtin network dump,
but we can always use such an implementation when appropriate.

Xu has written the tshak backend, so I bet he knows more about it.

FIY, we're trying a different approach of getting guest information on
Avocado (not on Avocado-VT), by using the "cloudinit" feature when the
guest has support for it:

https://avocado-framework.readthedocs.io/en/64.0/api/utils/avocado.utils.html#module-avocado.utils.cloudinit

It's simplistic at the moment, but it's possible to check for the
instance id used, and get the IP address from the the "phone home" HTTP
connection.

Regards,

--
Cleber Rosa
[ Sr Software Engineer - Virtualization Team - Red Hat ]