Re: WordPerfect 8/em86 on Alpha

>> I've not looked into any information on WP 8 for Linux, I am sure someone
>> here has.  Is there an Alpha release/port of it?

>Not that I'm aware of, but I did give it a go under em86.

>The installation seemed to go OK (if a bit slow).  Then when I first ran
>it I got a window which looked plausably like a word processor - and some
>error boxes complaining that I apparently did have permisison to write to
>files in my home directory.
>
>I tried quiting and restarting; at which point it complained that the
>evaluation period had encded and promptly exited.  I reckon a 5 minute
>evaluation period is a bit short (I think its supposed to be 90 days - so
>I dont know what has gone wrong).

The evaluation period issue can be fixed by registering (free) at:
https://livewire.corel.com/wp8LinuxReg/register.html and then
entering the supplied key.

The rest....well, it seems that WP8/em86 combo cannot
write to the filesystem. So, any operation that saves anything,
including a preference or config item, and of course, saving
a file(!), fails. So it works, sort of, but is not useable in
its current state.

Too bad, as the speed was OK (albeit not great) on an AS200 233 with
128 Mb RAM.

I am not enough of a hacker to figure this out myself, so, will
put this on a back burner until a 'fix' appears :)

-MG

MICHAEL Wm. GILBERT  mgilbert@oit.umass.edu
Technology Development and Special Projects
Office of Information Technology (OIT)
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
Voice: 413-545-3124   Fax: 413-545-3203
A115 Lederle Graduate Research Center