Re: GENERIC kernels (was: Re: disparities in hardware?)

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 Jay.Estabrook@digital.com wrote:

> Uh, don't look now, but the 2.1.xx kernels have had the "Generic" system
> type available for a while, so it'll be in 2.2.
>
> And not only does it run on any machine, but it doesn't care whether its
> booted from SRM or MILO... :-)
>
> It's typically all that I build these days, so it tends to get tested mostly
> on the latest boxes (DP264, RAWHIDE, RX164); anyone with older or less common
> boxes is encouraged to try it out, and let me know if you have any problems,
> especially for getting bugfixes into 2.2...

Jay, _just out of curiousity_, how does the GENERIC option affect the
code optimization of the genererated kernel? I would assume that I'd
get a better optimized kernel by choosing PC164 over GENERIC.

(Note that I'm not very familiar with the config.in stuff)

Just curious.

Carpe viam,
Mike (happily running 131-ac6 on his PC164-500)

<*> Michael Larocque - mlarocque@home.com <*>
      http://members.home.net/mlarocque
An idle CPU is a terrible thing to waste - www.distributed.net