Re: sudden segfaults and kernel oopses with "ps -a" and "w".

Andi Hechtbauer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> after a while of uptime my pc164/2.0.30 suddenly starts oopsing, with some
> commands. The commands seem to involve access to the /proc filesys. maybe.
>
> "w" segfaults, "who" works, "ps" works, "ps -a" segfaults.
>
> ----
> Mar 19 16:12:49 top kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 0000000000000000

Does a pc164 use ECC on memory?

The last time I saw a message like this was after playing with
the DRAM timing registers on my 21066a. I was trying to see
what difference could be made by setting the timings faster
since I have 60ns SIMMs rather than the spec 70ns. When I had
set it just a hair too fast, I started getting ECC messages
about correctable errors on reads and sometimes the "unable to
handle kernel paging..." message.