Re: Unstable Ruffian

> > I had to reduce MEMORY_SIZE by much more than that. After
> > several attempts I found that
> > with >=32MB less (MEMORY_SIZE<=224MB) the system is stable.
> > with <=16MB less (MEMORY_SIZE>=240MB) the system is still unstable.
>
> Today I tried with MEMORY_SIZE=226MB and it crashed pyrotechnically.
> So: I must leave at least 32MB free.
>
> Next experiment is putting 512MB in the machine (I have a 256MB bank
> sitting on my desk) and check whether I have to throw away 32 or 288 :-)

Answer: the second case.  It is not a matter of leaving 32MB free.
Even with 512MB of physical RAM, my PC164UX's (all three of them) are
unstable when Linux uses more than 224MB.  Up to 224MB they are
stable as rocks.
This perhaps explains why some people on this list did not
have problems, while other did.

My management is now asking me to give up and swap these
machines with LX's, or Intel boxes.  This is the last week of
experimentation, then we say goodbye to the UX.  Sigh.  It was fast.

furio ercolessi
Spin - Trieste (Italy)