Re: syslogd problems

> without the usual syslogd problem.  But it just happened again.  The machine
> is running out of inodes (files are fine - file-nr is 704), so I increased
> inode-max to 4096, and it immediately ran out again.  So I increased it to
> 8192, and it's almost up there again:

Um, "running out of inodes" is OK, I think. On most systems the # of
inodes shown is the # in the cache. They aren't all actually in use.
There's no way to tell if the # in use is actually near the limit.

If you want to debug the problem, you need to do 2 things:

1) look with lsof to see what files are open

2) examine proc to see how many files various processes have open.

It is interesting that file-nr is so low, yet you are getting "bad
file descriptor? Can you run a program which tries to open a file on
occasion and sees if it works?

-- g