Intel and Red Hat

Just read this (because I knew it was coming):

<QUOTE>
SAN JOSE, Calif., Sept. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- Today at ISPCON Fall
'98, Red Hat Software, Inc., a leading distributor of the Linux
operating system, announced that Intel, Netscape Communications
Corporation and venture capital firms Greylock and Benchmark
Partners have taken minority equity positions in the company. Red
Hat builds, maintains and provides technical support for the Red Hat
operating system. Linux runs on Intel, Alpha and Sun SPARC
platforms. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Additionally, the firm announced it is establishing an Enterprise
Computing Division, according to Red Hat president, Robert F. Young.
The new division will offer enterprise-grade products and services
to support global, mission-critical applications. "As the growing
number of users demonstrates, the Linux operating system is ready
for enterprise-wide applications," Young said. "Red Hat intends to
further extend its Linux leadership into the enterprise."
</QUOTE>

Good, for a moment I thought we all had to convert to Intel-centric
hardware, but reading the above closely, it's only about enterprise
applications (phew!).

That means that for REAL COMPUTING, we can still keep those Alpha's
hummin'.

Cheers,
Toon.