Re: Library questions (Re: Assembler code conversion package)

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Daniel J. Frasnelli wrote:

> found out the hard way :-)  Second, has anyone taken the daring step of
> upgrading to glibc 2.1 yet? I wrecked many an installation upgrading libc
> when getting started with Linux a few years ago, and will probably wait
> until the good folks at RedHat or Debian come up with a package.  Just
> curious about any first impressions of the new lib's features (full NIS+
> support, more POSIXization, etc.).

Yes, I have converted and have Debian packages available for ftp
(beezer.med.miami.edu:/pub/chris/glibc-2.1).  I like it, although I
haven't tested many new features yet.  If you are interested in testing
it, be aware that it is a "use at your own risk" at this point (since
the packages are still unofficial and it's unknown if you can "go back"
to the previous system state if you try to uninstall the packages).  Also,
whenever you link a programme on the glibc2.1 system, it may or may not
work on a glibc 2.0 system due to some changes in so names and an egcs
addition.