Re: bug in fbmem.c,

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 05:46:08PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> "Richard B. Johnson" wrote:
> > Are you sure? With some limits-checking it should work, compiler
> > just subtracts N words from the stack-pointer to make room and
> > since the compiler 'knows' it did this, it still 'knows' where
> > everything else is.

How much room is left on the kernel stack?  You don't know,
so you don't know how to bound such a limits check.

> Even if the compiler can do it the fix is not correct because data
> copying need only occur on the Alpha, not on all platforms.

If it were up to me, I'd do it for all platforms, since it's
more Correct.  This isn't exactly a speed-critical interface.

But it's not up to me -- the fbdev maintainers may do whatever
they wish.

r~