Re: Linux Install on AlphaServer 4X00 5/400 21164 400MHz

Actually, to play counterpoint, I've done a few AS4x00 installs (both 4100
and 4000) and with RH 6.0 the installs were, for the most part, flawless.
The biggest thing for me was to update to the 5.4 firmware - that also
enabled me to use serial console on the systems (being rackmounted, that was
a big deal for me).  You should just be able to stick the CD in and boot from
SRM with 'b -fi kernels/generic.gz -fl "root=/dev/scd0 load_ramdisk=1"' (or,
set the environment variables boot_file and bootdef_dev appropriately).  I
was, somewhat sad to say, quite surprised that everything worked this
easily.  Taking into account the steps from the SRM howto (like running
swriteboot during the install and using BSD disklabels...) the installs
seemed perfectly clean.  Let me know if this doesn't seem to be the case for
you...

 - Pete