Re: AlphaServer 1000 5/xxx isntall

> The kernel at least boots but it panics right after loading the ramdisk
> image.  I have tried several different ways of preparing the ramdisk
> image with out any difference.  It is that MS-DOS VFS kernel panic which
> i thought was a result of the disk either having or not having a msdos
> format prior to dd'ng the image.

At that stage, the kernel looks at the start of the disk for a gzip
signature (compressed ramdisk), and then a ext2fs signature
(uncompressed ramdisk), and if both of those fail, it tries to mount
it as a MS-DOS filesystem, which causes a misleading kernel panic.

I would try to read the ramdisk image in yourself to verify that it is
OK:

        dd if=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k | zcat | dd of=/dev/ram1
        mkdir -p /mnt/ram
        mount /dev/ram1 /mnt/ram
	ls /mnt/ram

-- g