Re: PC 164 adventures

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 10:37:55AM -0500, John Jasen wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Jay Estabrook wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 11:56:24PM -0500, Speedracer wrote:
> > >
> > > 	2. Can I not use my voodoo3k card with SRM? (worked with arc
> > > 	consle)
> >
> > SRM and ARC consoles have/had different BIOS emulators, the latter
> > (ARC) being much more likely to support more/newer cards.
>
> Does it honestly matter if a card is directly supported by SRM?

Tell that to someone who puts a brand new card in and the console
black screens him... :-\

> All SRM needs, IIRC, is a card that can spit out VGA, or a serial console.

Yes, but many new cards need to have their BIOS code run before they
will actually start behaving like a VGA.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com