Hangs with 100baseTX, RedHat 7.1, kernel 2.4.x and AlphaPC 164

Hello,

I've been trying to a net install of RedHat 7.1 on a machine with a Digital
AlphaPC 164 (not SX/LX) motherboard, but failed miserably, due to machine
hangs.

Last week, I finally installed from a CDROM instead, which went smoothly. It
turns out, that the reason the net install didn't work, was that any heavy
100baseTX ethernet activity, using normal size packets hung the machine.
I've tried multiple ethernet interfaces, both RealTek RTL-8139 based, and
DC21040 based, in 32 and 64 bit slots. When I finally dug up an old 10baseTX
ISA card, the problems went away.

The strange thing is, that the cards work fine, if I use a 2.2 kernel
(tested with 2.2.19). Others have posted that they needed to enable
CONFIG_PCI_QUIRKS, but that doesn't seem to be necessary for me (I've
haven't tested with heavy trafic more than 15 minutes, though).

I've tested the default 2.4 kernels, that come with RedHat 7.1, Linus'
Kernel 2.4.0 and 2.4.10, and all of them hang. I can still press the halt
button, and return to the SRM console, if that could be of any help in
discovering the cause of this.

I've seen other people, with what seems to the same problem post to the
list, without seeing any solutions posted, but hope that this detailed
description of the problem will spark an idea in someone :-)

Best regards

Mads Bach