Re: Hangs with 100baseTX, RedHat 7.1, kernel 2.4.x and AlphaPC 164

Jay Estabrook wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 05:12:49PM +0200, Mads Peter Bach wrote:
> >
> > I've been trying to a net install of RedHat 7.1 on a machine with a
> > Digital AlphaPC 164 (not SX/LX) motherboard, but failed miserably,
> > due to machine hangs.
>
> I'll bet you're running from SRM console, right?

Yes. I upgraded to make the install easier :-)

> > Last week, I finally installed from a CDROM instead, which went
> > smoothly. It turns out, that the reason the net install didn't work,
> > was that any heavy 100baseTX ethernet activity, using normal size
> > packets hung the machine.
[snip]

> Yes, network traffic (even "ping" did it for me) seems to exacerbate
> the problem.
>
> > The strange thing is, that the cards work fine, if I use a 2.2 kernel
> > (tested with 2.2.19). Others have posted that they needed to enable
> > CONFIG_PCI_QUIRKS, but that doesn't seem to be necessary for me (I've
> > haven't tested with heavy trafic more than 15 minutes, though).
>
> Yes, well, the 2.2. kernels dealt with a PC164 "anomaly" much better,
> and even 2.4.10 deals with it, but ONLY if you've booted from MILO.

Ahhh :-) Palcode fixes?

> Use the attached patch against 2.4.10, and you should have better
> results. These patches, among others, are in the process of being
> submitted to Linus for 2.4.11, hopefully.

Colour me impressed! That was quick. The patch seems to work great. Is there
a patch for the clock detection problem among the ones that have been
submitted to Linus? (I currently have to use the cycle kernel parameter, to
get sane BogoMIPS and timer ticks - even though I was quite impressed with
2900 BogoMIPS from a 366 MHz EV56)

I sure hope that Compaq/HP appreciate your work here, I'm sure that we are
many here who do!

Best regards,

Mads Bach