Re: Hangs with 100baseTX, RedHat 7.1, kernel 2.4.x and AlphaPC 164

On Sun, Oct 07, 2001 at 12:48:04AM -0700, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 02:31:30PM +0400, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
> > So I would return to my previous thought - compare the measured frequency
> > with one reported in the hwrpb and return failure if we see twofold or
> > higher difference.
>
> The reason I originally added bits to estimate the value
> is that sometimes one gets zero in this field.

Yes, that has always been a problem on some boxes - do you remember if
they involved MILO or SRM (or both)?

As you say, that was the reason to have put in the original RPCC-based
code.

But what was the reason that that was no longer deemed sufficient?

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com