PC164 SRM problem

I recently switched from ARC/Milo to SRM on my PC164, and the system runs
nicely under 2.4.12. But when I shutdown, I get a "machine check error 670"
at SRM level. That in itself wouldn't be too painful, but the SRM settings
(boot_file etc.) get lost during the necessary power cycling.
Is there anything I can do (besides going back to ARC/Milo)? From previous
posting I found that a "machine check 670" means flaky memory, but why only
in SRM during a halt/reboot?

Thanks for any help
	Oliver