Re: PC164 SRM problem

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 12:47:09PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
>  What about a set of rules instead of special cases?  It seems to work for
> i386, where PCI setups are notoriously broken, yet only conflicting
> resources get reassigned.

And what if one of these resources is critical for console operation, and
other isn't, how can you determine which one to reassign?
Besides, i386 code can't handle uninitialized PCI-PCI bridges. At all.
I believe the main reason why i386 port doesn't use "setup PCI yourself"
approach is that there are lots and lots of various x86 host-to-pci bridges,
and very few of them are documented.

> > cases. Save/restore of the PCI setup is the only viable option, IMHO.
>
>  But it doesn't work well, either.  If you get dumped back to SRM due to
> an exception, the whole configuration remains messed up.

Good point. That was one of the reasons why I thought that save/restore
code isn't very useful. However, most likely such an exception would mean
that something is screwed up anyway...

Ivan.