Re: Hammer : Re: Forw: FW: Red Hat has NOT dropped Alpha

With regards to your message at 01:36 PM 10/26/01, Peter Watkinson. Where you stated:

Now the enquirer is quoting the email that was posted to this list earlier
in the day

http://www.theinquirer.net/26100110.htm

Well Maurice Chris and anyone from RH whats the scope?
I don't know.
I have been releasing info in the hope of finding out.
We are a Beta Red Hat site, but this time, unlike in the past, we have not received a beta for 7.2
Further, we were placing orders to book more boxed 7.2, and Tim told me what I quoted.

As we have seen from the info discussed here, Alpha is not commercially viable for Red Hat to support, unless a corporate, such as Compaq, underwrites it.

Apparently Compaq people seem to think that this is still happening, but if so, nobody seems to have made that commitment sufficiently clearly for Red Hat to act on so far.

And that is all I know so far.

Bearing in mind what Christopher said about EV7 does anyone know if Samsung
has plans to develop motherboards for Linux and EV7?
Samsung has developed the UP1500 (EV68)
After that, I doubt it.

I have heard of a private initiative to build a third party board, and I hear that a certain US company is producing a DP264 "clone"

We are pursuing the Asian third party boards actively, and we do have sourcing on UP1500 in place.

API is apparently moving it's support to another location soon, and I believe announcements to that effect will release shortly.

Compaq still builds Alphas, and will do so for the foreseeable future.

And that is about the sum of what is known so far.
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Hilarius;Maurice
FN:Maurice Hilarius
ORG:Hard Data Ltd.
TITLE:President
TEL;WORK;BUSINESS:780-456-9771
TEL;WORK;VOICE:780-456-9771
TEL;WORK;CELL:780-906-7359
TEL;WORK;FAX:780-456-9772
ADR;WORK:;;11060 - 166 Avenue;Edmonton;AB;T5X1Y3;Canada
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:11060-166 Avenue=0D=0AEdmonton, AB T5X1Y3=0D=0ACanada
URL;WORK:http://www.harddata.com
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:maurice@harddata.com
REV:20010222T231737Z
END:VCARD

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.            FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice@harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3

--> Now Shipping Dual Processor Athlon DDR RAM Systems! <-
--> Ask me about the new Alpha DDR UP1500 Systems  <-