Second IDE port not working on PC164

Jay Estabrook Jay.Estabrook at hp.com
Mon Apr 5 17:40:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 07:33:05PM +0200, Axianet.ch - Steven Moix wrote:

> I also had 4 PC164 mainboard (3 were sold to friends and one is left to
> me) with 2 IDE slots. On all 4 boards the primary IDE port worked well,
> but on none of the 4 boards the secondary IDE port worked.
> I searched a bit with google and it looks like a lot of people have this
> problem...is the secondary IDE desactivated?

Seems there's an idiosyncracy WRT the IDE on PC164 under SRM: it only
works with devices on the primary (doesn't even see devices on the
secondary, may not even probe it).

So, that makes it impossible to boot via SRM from devices on the
secondary IDE.

However, those same devices/secondary IDE channel work fine under Linux.

So, choose wisely... ;-}

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO2-3/N30       (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook at hp.com