Fedora from Mike Barnes: Installation - kernel and images

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 02:53:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:26:32 -0400, David Shirvanyan <shir at email.unc.edu> wrote:
> Now I am thinking about building my own installation floppies and kernel
> with all the required drivers built-in. But I have never done this
> before. Maybe someone has faced this problem and found easier way to
> boot and start installation?

I know about the module loading errors. I'm just out of time right
now, but was going to bring this up on Anaconda-devel soon. The one
test I haven't done yet, and need to try, is to use a kickstart file
that defines the network and scsi device modules and boot into
Anaconda with the "noprobe" option. This will narrow down whether it's
a probe option, or something broken in the module loader itself.

I suspect it's the latter - the console messages seem to indicate it's
trying the right modules,  but just can't find them. It's a pain to
debug.

Building a kernel with the devices built-in may work.