Fedora from Mike Barnes

Arkadiy Chapkis - Arc achapkis at dls.net
Tue Aug 17 17:44:40 UTC 2004

  My process was more complicated. Of course there's an argument to the rpm command (has to be a package name(s)).
Trying to install everything without checking for dependencies (rpm -Uh --nodeps *.rpm) will result in a lot of
unnecessary things, taking up a lot of disk space. What I did instead is worked every package I wanted to find out its
dependencies and install them first. And that could be a tedious task as you explore a whole chain of dependencies and
sub-dependencies. This is how I did it. Sometimes the dependencies could be a filename(s) instead of an RPM. For this
I made a reference list:

# cd /where/your/rpms/are
# for i in `ls *.rpm`;do
> echo "------- $i -------" >> allfiles.txt
> rpm -qlp $i >> allfiles.txt
> done

  After a while you're going to end up with a big text file 'allfiles.txt' where you have listing of all the RPMs and
the files in each one of them. vi or less this file every time you will need to find a dependable file.

>Arc,
>
>I am running into a snag trying to upgrade using your
>process below.  I have a RH7.2 install on one disk,
>and a blank disk that is mounted as /mnt/newroot as
>described below.  I pulled all the SRPMS, RPMS
>structure from Mikes website and have them in
>/opt/alpha...  I cd'd into this /opt/alpha structure
>to get to the rpm's and executed "rpm -Uvh
>--root=/mnt/newroot" and it came back with an RPM
>error--no packages given.  I changed the command to
>"rpm -Uvh *.rpm --root=/mnt/newroot" and get a
>dependency error on a package called "junit".
>
>Any advice or assistance on how I can proceed would be
>appreciated.  Do I find this junit SRPM and compile
>it?  would there be a mismatch against glibc of 7.2
>vs. FC2, etc.?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Scott

                                      Arc C.