Alpha Source Code?

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Thu Dec 9 19:46:23 UTC 2004

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Joe Brazeal wrote:
>>Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 16:28:27 -0600
>>From: Joe Brazeal <JBrazeal at spp.org>
>>To: Linux and Red Hat on Alpha processors <axp-list at redhat.com>
>>Subject: RE: Alpha Source Code?
>>
>>I just wanted to know if I wanted to start with an alpha with
>>Tru64 on it and convert it to unix what would you do?
>
> Tru64 is UNIX.  ;o)  Dunno if Ultrix was ever made available for
> Alpha or not.

   I seem to recall having to port HP products to it,
circa ~1992...

> Personally I'd recommend switching from Tru64 to
> Linux rather than UNIX, but that's just me.  ;o)

   I wouldn't in a production system... later TRU64 was
solid as a rock... and secure as only a true C2
could be... however, that -is- spelled $olid and $ecure.

  But, it is end of life... of course, so is RH7.2.

Carmen is a possible path, but not exactly production,
and doesn't like SMP EV56 systems...