New Red Hat 7.2 Alpha install on DEC PWS 600au

jon_on_i86 thursday at allidaho.com
Sat Dec 11 22:40:28 UTC 2004

Dear Jim,

PWS series machines can be a little cranky.. Did your install go in OK?
My dual-booters (one Tru64 and one NT/W2000) go through a routine
count-on-fingers of all the disks whether they are mounted or not.  I
never gave it much thought and it never damaged a disk or an install.

Seems to me that some SCSI disks have jumpers that can prevent spin-up.
And it may be possible to comment out the spin-up in the kernel boot
sequence.

good luck

jn