Alpha Core Directions

Richard Irving rirving at antient.org
Tue Dec 21 18:20:21 UTC 2004

William H. Magill wrote:
> On 21 Dec, 2004, at 11:51, Dialup Jon Norstog wrote:
>
>> The thing that nees the most work IMO, is the installer.  It is really
>> not at
>> all clear about formatting a disk so it will boot from SRM.  That goes
>> for
>> both the text and the graphical installers.

    I would kill for a functional SMP 2.6 based kernel that
doesn't puke on encountering 21164's, as in a 5000 series.

  (The super NT box, for those that can remember them)

The 2.6 kernels don't seem to like the Older 21164's in
an SMP config, and 6.x series SRM.. Debian -and- the AC fell short of this
mark, both. A single processor, yes.... and the 2.4 kernels,
yes.... but not the 2.6. -and- SMP on 5000's.

   And, Santa, since I am asking, would you mind throwing in
a picture of Rudolph and the Elves ?

   :)