Alpha Core Directions

Rob B rbyrnes at mailshack.com
Wed Dec 22 03:19:40 UTC 2004

At 09:35 AM 22/12/2004, Nelson Brito wrote:
>At 08:49 AM 22/12/2004, Jeff A. wrote:
>>I'm using PPC and Alpha machines as an excuse to finally learn linux, but
>>when every release is different and nobody uses the same editors and setups,
>>it's really, really stupid.  Mandrake does this, SuSE does that, and Red Hat
>>does something else.   Then Yellow Dog does *almost* like Red Hat.  Then I
>>
>that's the beauty of linux you can chose whatever tools you like the best.

And also one of the reasons I switched from Linux to FreeBSD.  I still keep
my hand in with Debian (very) occasionally.

>unfortunately i have to tell you that OSX is Linux... if you don't like it!!

Actually, it's a Mach-type kernel with portions of userland from FreeBSD.

Don't take this as a "my *n*x is bigger/better/faster/whatever than your
*n*x", either.

Cheers,
Rob

--
A bus station is where buses stop. A train station is where trains stop.
On my desk, there is a workstation...

This is random quote 133 of 1264.

Distance from the centre of the brewing universe
[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian

Public Key fingerprint = 6219 33BD A37B 368D 29F5  19FB 945D C4D7 1F66 D9C5