Alpha Core Directions

Sergey Tikhonov tsv at solvo.ru
Wed Dec 22 13:09:10 UTC 2004

Hello,

Dialup Jon Norstog wrote:

>Dear Mike, & list:
>
>The thing that nees the most work IMO, is the installer.  It is really not at
>all clear about formatting a disk so it will boot from SRM.  That goes for
>both the text and the graphical installers.
>
>2.  Keep the KDE screensavers, all of 'em.  They're great!
>
>3.  Selecting the "workstation" install option on 7.2 never neeeded the 4th
>disk.  Perhaps you could retain that feature, putting the scientific, legacy
>code, ham radio, etc. on the 4th disk.  The just leave a note to the effect in
>the ISO download "readme" telling most users they won't need but the first 3 ISOs.
>
>4.  KDE and Genome:  we'll never be able to agree on just one desktop.
>
>5.   KDE games.  Keep chess, Xbill and shisen sho.  Does anyone play chromium
>or Civilization?
>
>I hope the next AC distro will keep the ability to serve UFS files.
>
>My other suggestion is to take a rest, go to the beach and think about it a
>while.  AC as it stands is as good a product as 7.2.  We all appreciate your
>work.

Personally, I would love to have some sort of "yum" server what new
(development, release candidate) packages could be
downloaded and tested by everybody. I am running almost FC3 on my alpha,
but simple could not give a lot of testing to
every package. Just simple tests, that it runs and doesn't crash too much.
So people could take what ever they like, test it for themself and
feedback testing info. May be by that we could collect
the information what is really used by people and should be included
into distribution.

Thank you,

--
---