Alpha Core Directions

William H. Magill magill at mcgillsociety.org
Wed Dec 22 15:50:36 UTC 2004

On 22 Dec, 2004, at 04:51, Maurice Hilarius wrote:
> Hi Mike.
> From what i can see the current Alpha Linux users are mainly in two
> groups:
> 1) A "hobby" set, as you touched on
> 2) a fair amount of people are still running Alpha servers and
> clusters for scientific computing. they may now be "old" machines, but
> they still find them useful, and will not retire them anytime soon.
>
> I think that in general the main focus points for both are:
> Modern kernels and updates.
> Anything for optimization of performance libraries.

Agreed.

However, I suspect that the vast majority of folks in #2 are pretty
close to the point of
"if it ain't broke, don't upgrade it."

If they have working applications they are not likely to find any kind
of "need" to
upgrade, just to have the latest and greatest -- especially on dead-end
hardware.
However, there is still a LOT of horsepower out there which cannot
easily be replaced yet.
And HP has guaranteed spare parts for another 5 years or so, at least
for some models.

Drivers for USB, Fibre Channel, storage and the like probably being the
major exception.

The rest of us in category #1 are probably up for anything, as long as
it lets us
"upgrade" to the newest toys in Home Automation, PVR, USB 2.0, Firewire
800,
etc. -- we might not be able to boot from these devices (no SRM
updates), but if
we can get the OS to recognize the PCI cards, then we've got a fighting
chance.

The other thing of importance to both groups will be security updates.

One comment about the "hobby" set -- I suspect that a large number of
us in that
category are using their Alphas as primary servers for their home
networks. This
puts them in much more of a production category than might otherwise be
true.
My PWS433 is working on something on the order of 4 years of uptime now.
(The Tru64 kernel was built in May 2001. I ignore power outages of more
than
the UPS battery, since everything is down including the DSL line.)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]-Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] Open BSD 3.6
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] RH 7.1
magill at mcgillsociety.org
magill at acm.org
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com