XL-266 install

Tom Linden tom at kednos.com
Fri Feb 20 18:00:15 UTC 2004

You need milo and linload.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: axp-list-admin at redhat.com [mailto:axp-list-admin at redhat.com]On
  Behalf Of trevor
  Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 9:53 AM
  To: axp-list at redhat.com
  Subject: XL-266 install

  While rumaging through the old hardware pile at work, to my
  pleasant surprise
  I came across an Alpha XL-266 and would like to get Linux running on it.

  I booted up the machine. Someone had, at one point, installed
  both Windows
  2000 and Windows NT4 but I am not able to boot either of these;
  in both cases
  they start to boot but then fail complaining about missing DLLs and so on.

  I found the alphalinux.org site and tried to figure out how to
  get Linux on
  this machine but I wasn't successful so I'm hoping to catch some
  kind person
  here who might help.

  After a few false starts it is my understanding that the only
  firmware I can
  use on this machine is the Windows NT ARC firmware, in other words, the
  option of using SRM doesn't exist for me. [One point of confusion
  for me so
  far: the documents say there are only 2 types of firmware, SRM
  and AlphaBIOS,
  so what is Windows NT ARC firmware and how does that fit in?]

  I went to the "Alpha Systems Firmware" site
  [http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware] and upgraded to
  the latest
  firmware for this machine model 4/xxx (which I believe is version 4.7x or
  something like that). That firmware download site mentioned
  something about
  AlphaXL Model 4/xxx and Model 5/xxx which is again confusing
  because I don't
  see anything anywhere on this machine to suggest model 4/xxx or
  model 5/xxx.

  Based on what I've found out so far I'll need to use MILO to
  boot, so I tried
  to follow the MILO Miniloader HOWTO. I can't seem to find
  anywhere where I
  can find the required "linload.exe" file. Every link I find leads
  to sites
  that don't exist anymore. I'm not out of luck, am I?

  I was able to find an XL-specific Milo image at
  [ftp://genie.ucd.ie/pub/alpha/milo], but all the other links from
  the "Alpha
  Miniloader HOWTO" are dead.

  My current understanding is that I need to format a floppy (FAT)
  and copy both
  the XL-specific MILO and linload.exe onto it. But what after that I'm not
  sure. I've followed the instructions in the HOWTO to setup a
  Linux bootloader
  option in the firmware (so the menu item is ready to go) but as
  for getting
  the components for the floppy, what to do with them (is just
  copying them to
  the floppy sufficient?) and what else I need to do are still fuzzy.

  Does MILO get installed to the system anywhere, or do I always
  need the floppy
  to boot?

  I'm hoping someone can clarify these things for me.

  Thank you for any and all help, and best regards,
  	Trevor

  ---
  Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---