Best way to update RH 7.2?

Donald White dbwhite at asu.edu
Sat Jul 24 03:16:51 UTC 2004

All,

Last weekend I went to a computer swap meet.  While there, I saw one of
the Axxion cases that often house Alphas.  I asked the owner the price
and he wanted $15 for the "case" but took $10 since he removed a sound
card that another customer wanted for $5.  Inside was a 164lx, 2MB
cache, with 533MHz cpu and fan.  I took it home, added memory and a
video card; it booted right up.  I couldn't resist adding the needed
parts for a complete system.

I updated the BIOS to SRM 5.8-1 and installed RH 7.2 from the CDROMs.
This was much easier than the AlphaBIOS setup on my 2 164sxes.

This weekend I would like to apply the updates from ftp2.compaq.com.
What is the best way to do this?  I have them already downloaded.
Should I let rpm just do its thing?  Build a yum repository?  What is
the best way to keep the system current?

I hope to keep this system free of any commitments so that I can use it
for testing and such.

Thanks,

Don