Kernel Installation Options - Quick Poll

Mike Barnes strepsil at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 14:08:42 UTC 2004

Fedora status wise - my DS10 is currently recompiling all packages to
give one final shakedown of what does and does not build. Once this
completes, I'm pretty confident of getting some install ISO images
happening - then I'm hoping to pretty much cut loose from doing this,
and we'll see if things sink or swim.

There's a lot that's not working properly (or at all), but I did
manage to get in a round of Tuxracer while compiling a kernel last
night, so it's not doing too badly.

In the meantime, could I get a few opinions from folks here as to what
they'd like to see a new kernel RPM to do after installation?

1) Add itself to aboot.conf

2) Add itself to aboot.conf, taking some steps to make itself the
default (would require some SRM flag checking/setting, probably not
practical to do this reliably)

3) Leave everything alone and let the sysadmin sort it out

Currently, we've got option 3. It's easy to implement. :)